Below are some of the frequently asked questions on Open Measurement SDK compliance.
What are some of the benefits of OM SDK?
- Industry benefits from a collaborative effort – a single source SDK for making adoption easy for publishers and app developers
- Eliminates individual customized and proprietary solutions (black box solutions), which facilitates adoption, innovation, and troubleshooting
- Improved accuracy and performance – makes measurement services more efficient
- Improves user experience – a single solution reduces the native app footprint and memory utilization
- Improves the developer experience – reduces integration timelines and ongoing maintenance efforts
- Streamline data, improved accuracy and reduce dependencies – equal data access to all vendors
What are the requirements for certification?
Once you have integrated the OM SDK in your SDK, we will require:
- Test app with you SDK
- You will need to setup ads of different types with the verification script (we will provide you that once you sign up)
- Details of ad placements/ navigation so our testers know how to find and test
* The details of campaign setup are in the onboarding guide. App publishers and Ads SDK providers can learn more on how to download, integrate and test the OM SDK here: https://iabtechlab.com/standards/open-measurement-sdk/
Once you are certified, you can accept ads with verification tags from all the measurement providers your app is integrated with (e.g. Moat, IAS, comScore)
What is the onboarding process and expected timeframe to get certified?
- We will send instructions for specific parameters of the API we need as well as how to provide access to us.
- We will send a placement guide to explain navigation and all your ad formats to us and how to find them in the ad
- We will send the JS you need to include in test ads
- You need to submit the apps to us with the test ads running
- Once test apps are submitted it takes us 2-4 weeks to complete testing and we will connect with your team as necessary
What is the testing process and requirements for certification?
The high level testing process is as follows:
- IAB Tech lab provides the JS that acts as verification resource
- Customer creates a test app with ads running that include the verification JS
- Submits the test apps to the IAB Tech Lab with the required information on the app, ad placements and navigation
- We test the event are recorded correctly and provide feedback based on our test cases
- Once all tests are passed and verified, the IAB Tech Lab will issue a certification of compliance and a seal (web and print images) to verify compliance.
What Ad types are supported?
- HTML Display Creatives (web-view based HTML5 ads, banners, interstitials, full screen etc)
- Native Display Creatives (native layer rendered image and text ads)
- Video Creatives (HTML5 Video in web-views or native in-app player video ads)
- As for the different ads not listed above, it is your choice. You can add other ad types later if you certify later.
What apps are currently supported?
What IAB Standards are supported?
- VAST 2.0, 3.0, 4.x
- OpenRTB 2.0, 2.1 and 3.0
- AdCOM 1.0
What is not supported?
- VPAID is not supported by OMSDK
- Advertising ID retrieval logic is not present in the OMSDK
- Brand Safety – this is “facilitated”, but the logic is not present in the OMSDK
- Fraud Detection (invalid traffic) – this is “facilitated”, but the logic is not present in the OMSDK
Does the same SDK across multiple devices count as a single test or multiple?
The same SDK across multiple devises is considered a single test. So the same app running on iOS and Android versions of the same SDK counts as one test. If the same SDK and platform is submitted again for change of ad formats or upgrade it will count as another test.
How long is my certificate valid for?
The certification is valid for 1 year from the date the certificate was issues. In order to remain compliance, the subscription must be renewed and the app must be recertified according to the compliance guidelines.
How often do I need to recertify?
Currently, our certification subscription allows for 3 runs of certifications per year. Every time an app/SDK is submitted it counts as a single test. If the app/SDK is submitted a second time (or any subsequent times) for different ad type, that will be considered an additional run of the certification.
Since web application is priced separately, it will have its own 3 tests in a year.
When is recertification required?
Recertification is not required every time there is a change to the OM SDK version or a software version release, however, in order to maintain continuous certification, recertification is required when one of the following occurs:
- There is a change of ad placements for existing ad types – E.g. a banner position has been changed from top banner of page to inline between page content
- New ad format types have been added – E.g. native video or interstitial ad has been added
- Significant changes have been made to the way an ad is served or rendered
- New capabilities of OM SDK have been adopted
- 12 months have passed since last certification test