IAB Tech Lab Mission
The IAB Technology Laboratory is an independent, international, research and development consortium charged with producing and helping companies implement global industry technical standards. Comprised of digital publishers and ad technology firms, as well as marketers, agencies, and other companies with interests in the interactive marketing arena, the IAB Tech Lab’s goal is to reduce friction associated with the digital advertising and marketing supply chain, while contributing to the safe and secure growth of the industry. The organization’s founding member companies include AppNexus, Google, Hearst Magazines Digital Media, PubMatic, Tremor Video, Yahoo, and Yahoo! JAPAN. Established in 2014, the IAB Tech Lab is headquartered in New York City with an office in San Francisco.
The goal of the IAB Tech Lab is to reduce friction associated with the digital advertising and marketing supply chain while contributing to the safe growth of the industry. The IAB Tech Lab spearheads the development of innovative and scalable technical standards, creates and maintains a code library to assist in rapid, cost-effective implementation of IAB standards, and establishes test platforms for companies to evaluate the compatibility of their technology solutions with IAB standards, which for almost 20 years have been the foundation for interoperability and profitable growth in the digital advertising supply chain.
The inaugural agenda and project commitments include:
- Create a comprehensive code bank to assist in simplifying and reducing the costs associated with implementation of IAB standards
- Collaborate with the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) in the creation of new AdChoices programs in digital video and mobile to strengthen consumer privacy options across the interactive landscape
- Advance tools and protocols in alliance with the Trustworthy Accountability Group (TAG)
- Develop an IAB Standards Technology Compliance program to reduce friction with the interpretation of technical protocols
- Produce updated specifications for VAST (Digital Video Ad Serving Template), VPAID (Digital Video Player Ad Interface Definition) and MRAID (Mobile Rich Media Ad Interface Definitions) that will allow for seamless use of all three in delivering digital video advertising cross platform
What does the IAB Tech Lab Work On?
The IAB Tech Lab is built on the core pillars of producing protocols and advancing tools that help companies implement global industry technical standards. Combined with the development of an IAB Standards Certification program, the IAB Tech Lab’s goal is to reduce friction associated with the digital advertising and marketing supply chain.
How does the IAB Tech Lab Differ from the IAB ?
The IAB Tech Lab is governed by an independent Board of Directors, which oversees its agenda. The governance structure allows it to be a truly global technical standards body and accept member companies from outside the U.S. In addition, marketers and agencies, as well as other companies with interests in the digital advertising and marketing supply chain, are able to join.
IAB Tech Lab Membership & Governance
The IAB Tech Lab is governed by an independent Board of Directors, which oversees its agenda and funds allocation. David J. Moore, President of WPP Digital and Chairman of Xaxis, leads the IAB Technology Lab as Chairman of the Board and Alanna Gombert, Senior Vice President, Technology and Ad Operations at IAB is the Tech Lab’s General Manager.
The Tech Lab’s governance structure will allow it to become a truly global body and accept member companies from outside the U.S. In addition, marketers and agencies, as well as other companies with interests in the digital advertising and marketing supply chain, will be invited to join. Companies that are already IAB General Members are automatically members of the IAB Tech Lab, at no cost beyond their IAB dues.
Joining the IAB Tech Lab is about providing the digital marketing supply chain with technology services and solutions. As part of this consortium, members have the following benefits:
• Participation in the creation of specifications and development of tools
• Technical trainings and seminars for product, engineering, design, and operations personnel
• Authorization to contribute to code libraries
• Participation in IAB Tech Lab Working Groups