IAB Tech Lab Compliance: How It Works
Why Should Your Company Become IAB Tech Lab Compliant?
The IAB Compliance Programs allow companies to earn credibility for adhering to a set of global industry technical standards in digital advertising and marketing supply chain.
An IAB Tech Lab Compliance Seal helps establish trust, transparency, and reduces operational costs. Becoming an IAB Tech Lab Compliant partner means that you and your partners will have more confidence that there is consistency, upfront transparency, efficiencies and compatibility for integration. It’s also educational because new companies who are onboarding protocol frameworks can be more efficient in their first integrations following a pre-check list.
Your company will receive an IAB Tech Lab Compliance Seal that can be used on all marketing materials, displayed on your website, and included in your T&Cs. In addition, the IAB Tech Lab will feature your company on our Technology Compliant Companies page with a link to your integration guidelines.
What programs are available?
Data Transparency compliance establishes that a data provider or marketplace is meeting the minimum disclosure requirements to be a transparent data provider – in accordance with the IAB Tech Lab Data Transparency Standard – and that the information provided within the disclosures is reliable, that the organization has the necessary systems, processes, and personnel in place to sustain consistent segment labelling completion at scale, and that disclosures can be produced for all in-market segments a data provider makes available. The standard outlines information about data recency, collection, processing, and modeling that inform data quality and applicability (regardless of buyer use case). It is intended for:
- Providers that collect, segment, and market data as a standalone product
- Providers that collect, segment, and market data as a coupled / bundled offering along with media
- Data marketplaces that broker data between buyers and sellers and represent the “point of purchase”
For more information about how to become compliant, please fill out the Data Transparency Compliance onboarding form.
The IAB Tech Lab Podcast Measurement Compliance Program checks whether companies are following the Podcast Measurement Technical Guidelines. These guidelines were created by the Podcast Technical Working Group to get a core set of (server side) metrics defined, and to address the concerns raised by the podcast industry that the various analytics implementations were significantly different because of inconsistent practices. The guidelines were created to list out the most important areas to cover and to provide direction or a baseline that everyone starts from. This list includes basic concepts like file size thresholds and ensuring that ID3 headers are factored in when counting partial downloads, to more complicated topics like window sizes and other recommendations to filter out duplicate requests. Companies are tested against this list of issues and the certificate lists their coverage of those areas.
The IAB Tech Lab Measurement Compliance program is for companies that support the IAB measurement guidelines and want to measure digital campaign performance data across desktop, mobile, and video for agencies, brands, and marketers.
This program is currently being offered on a limited basis only.
The IAB Tech Lab Seal of Compliance for Measurement includes the metrics listed below:
- Display (Impressions, Clicks, Viewability)
- Video (Impressions, Clicks, Viewability)
- Mobile Web (Impressions, Clicks, Viewability)
- Mobile Inapp (Impressions, Clicks, Viewability)
The IAB Tech Lab Protocols Compliance programs validate the successful integration of IAB Tech Lab protocols. The protocols include: VAST (Digital Video Ad Serving Template) and OMSDK (Open Measurement SDK).
The IAB Tech Lab Seal of Compliance for Protocols includes the metrics listed below:
- VAST Version
- OM SDK
- App Version
- OM SDK Version
- Ad Format (Display, Native, Video)
Benefits of Compliance Programs
Becoming an IAB Tech Lab Compliant partner means you’ve joined an elite group of industry leaders who share common goals including:
- Drive efficiency in our complex ecosystem
- Influence the growth of standards which directly align with cost saving, effectively increasing your bottom line
- Spend more time on advancing platforms when selecting partners who are compliant
- Use your IAB Tech Lab Compliance Seal as proof that you are compliant and expect the same from your partners
- Reduced friction in the supply chain
- Easier onboarding of new partners
- Fast upgrade to new protocol versions
- Common framework—established, verified, and validated—that allows companies to innovate
- Improved adaptability, accuracy, uniformity, and scale