OpenDirect 2.0 Released for Public Comment
Download OpenDirect 2.0 (Draft in Public Comment until 3/12/2018)
Overview of OpenDirect 2.0
Developed by members of the OpenDirect Working Group, OpenDirect 2.0 allows for improved order management.
The updates made in OpenDirect 2.0 and the challenges they address are:
- Price negotiation between publishers and buyers
- Discovery of new deal opportunities
- Expanded media channels (using AdCOM for video and OOH media support)
- Improved order management across platforms
OpenDirect 2.0, released in public comment, provides increased functionality for premium automated guaranteed inventory. Please email your comments and/or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 12, 2018.
|Previous Versions||Supporting Resources||Related Documents||FAQ|
IAB released the final version of OpenDirect 1.0 in January 2015. Originally developed by a working group of representatives from AOL, Microsoft, Yahoo, and Yieldex, and later expanded to include executives from Bionic Advertising Systems and MediaMath as well, the OpenDirect specification was brought to IAB and its Digital Advertising Automation Task Force to be part of the trade association’s existing automation efforts, to gain wider industry participation, and to drive adoption across the ecosystem.
Automated Guaranteed is the method of buying which automates the digital direct sale. The deal is negotiated directly between buyer and seller (in-person or via a platform), the inventory and pricing are guaranteed, and the campaign runs at the same priority as other direct deals in the ad server. The RFP (Request for Proposal) and campaign trafficking process are completely automated within the technology platform. OpenDirect is the API specification which supports this process.
OpenDirect 1.0 was the first open specification that supports Automated Guaranteed to be released into the market. The specification offers a range of benefits to both agencies and publishers alike including:
- Increased workflow efficiencies
- Greater control in packaging, pricing, and delivery of inventory
- Reliable means of automating reserved inventory
- Liquidity of bigger pools of unique users
- Increased efficiency via one API integration across multiple publishers
- Book guaranteed delivery and access to media offerings not available on an exchange
|OpenDirect 1.5.1 (PDF)||September 2016|
|OpenDirect 1.5 (PDF)||March 2016|
|OpenDirect 1.0 (PDF)||March 2015|
OpenDirect 1.5 Released for Public Comment (Blog Post)
Developed by the OpenDirect Working Group
IAB Tech Lab Contact
Director of Product, Programmatic & Data