Meet the Global Privacy Platform
The Global Privacy Platform (GPP) is a framework for Publishers to easily communicate user consent and privacy preference signals to all downstream partners. By participating in the GPP, Publishers help their users enforce their privacy rights with a straightforward tool. The GPP is adaptable to the evolving privacy regulatory landscape, which helps Publishers minimize their development costs. The ongoing work of the GPP technical specification is led by IAB Tech Lab’s Global Privacy Working Group.
Why Publishers need the Global Privacy Platform
It is a challenge to keep up with evolving privacy regulations across Europe, Canada, and a growing list of US States. Why spend time creating unique implementations for each privacy evolution? Publishers need an efficient approach to keep up with regulatory developments.
The flexible design of the GPP supports all existing privacy signals and allows it to support each future privacy signal–such as upcoming US State signals in 2023 & beyond. This architecture keeps Publishers ahead of the curve as they implement compliance strategies.
Privacy signals the Global Privacy Platform supports
Here’s a list of current privacy signals supported by the GPP:
- IAB Europe Transparency & Consent Framework
- IAB Canada Transparency & Consent Framework
- IAB MSPA Signals
Publishers implementing the GPP support their users by respecting their privacy choices and streamlining how they communicate these as privacy signals to their partners.
US States with privacy laws effective in 2023
In 2023 alone, there are five US States with effective & enforceable privacy laws:
- Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act: effective Jan 1, 2023
- California Privacy Rights Act: fully operative Jan 1, 2023 & enforcement effective July 1, 2023
- Colorado Privacy Act: effective July 1, 2023
- Connecticut Data Privacy Act: effective July 1, 2023
- Utah Consumer Privacy Act: effective Dec 31, 2023
There are six additional states with signed privacy legislation that will become effective between 2024 and 2026. This train is not slowing down!
Publishers benefits from the Global Privacy Platform
The GPP helps make Publishes’ lives easier in five ways:
- Reduce the number of fragmented privacy signaling technologies through one streamlined signal.
- Flexible architecture to accommodate all regional privacy and data protection standards for Publishers with a Global audience.
- Support of existing in-use privacy consent formats Publishers have already adopted.
- Minimize the cost associated with adopting new privacy and data protection signaling technologies Publishers will need in the future.
- The GPP is the industry standard for sharing privacy signals within the digital ad supply chain.
How Publishers implement the Global Privacy Platform
It’s easy to get started using the GPP! To learn more about the technical GPP privacy signaling implementation please check out the Global Privacy Platform specification.
The GPP technical specification covers the format of the GPP string, the privacy signals currently supported by the GPP, and the transmission of the string via the GPP API or other methods.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR